Some people like to read all about a software package before they start using it. Chronolator provides full documentation for them.
At the other end of the spectrum are people who just like to dive in and use new software. Chronolator has been written for them as well, giving comprehensive information in its messages to guide them through the task in hand.
Somewhere in the middle are people who like to get a rough idea of what they need to do before they start, but don't want to spend time skimming through detailed documentation. If you are one of those people, these tutorials are for you!
If you want an even more general overview of Chronolator's main features, you might like to watch the demonstrations.
These tutorials were written using various versions of Chronolator and Word. The information in them is relevant to most versions of Chronolator and Word, though the screens you see will look somewhat different. They are gradually being updated for Chronolator Version 3.4 and Word 2016.
For completely up-to-date information for your version of Chronolator, please refer to the relevant manuals, which can be seen on the Documentation page.
Please see the Help page to find how to view these tutorials at their best.
Getting started with Chronolator documents
Watch this video if you have been sent a Chronolator document and want to understand why and how to use it.
The Tools Menu
The Tools menu contains buttons to:
- calculate the interval between two dates;
- anonymise, personalise and review a document using entries in the Abbreviations Glossary;
- process duplicated events;
- add sequence numbers to events that you can use for ease of reference, and to force them into order when you do not know the precise times at which they happened;
- provide shortcuts to Word's Table Auto Fit and Split at Current Row tools;
- highlight events according to their Source of Information;
- use Add-ins, which add extra functions to Chronolator.
Setting up Internal Chronologies with the Chronolator Online Workbench
Case Review Administrators use the Online Workbench to produce Chronolator documents tailored for each case. This tutorial gives an introduction to the Workbench, and shows how to set up an Internal Chronology with the Case Details Wizard.
Merging Chronolator Documents
Chronolator makes it easy to merge chronologies from multiple documents. This tutorial shows how to do it.